Thursday, July 7, 2011

Brian's Baptism

A little more than a year ago, I had the privilege of doing a week long counseling intensive with a young guy named Brian. He was in a place in his life where things had become completely unmanageable. He had just given up on a high paying, high stress job because he was filled with depression and anxiety and trapped in some bad habits, and he deeply desired a change. I led him to Jesus and God taught Brian about all that is possible when we entrust our lives into His hands. Following is a letter and a link to a recorded testimony which Brian recently gave at his baptism. I'm not claiming any credit for the change in his life, but it is gratifying to see what God has done for this guy, and to know that I met with him along the way.

Hi folks!


I am happy to announce that I was baptized this past Sunday!


I was baptized previously, when I was sixteen, but I did not act with the depth of understanding and intentionality that I possess now.  The general definition of baptism is an outward sign of my faith in Christ, and the act of baptism shows that I want to be identified with him and his ministry.

Another way to define my reason behind being baptized is articulated by Paul in Romans 1:16: “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes”.  I really like that idea of unashamed, which is how you feel about something that you love or are really passionate about.  When you’re excited about something, or really see the value in it, you want to show and tell others about how and why that something is so wonderful.

I wanted to share this with you all.  The week before my baptism (which was in the Chattahoochee River, old school style), one of the pastors at the church asked me if I would share my testimony with the church, so I did.  Here is a link where you can listen to a recording of my testimony if you'd like to hear it.  If you know someone else who needs to hear it, please feel free to pass it on.   Brian's Testimony   (Yes, they spelled my name wrong  =-) 

There's also some great pics that my Dad took at the baptism.  My best friend, Jared, who I've known for 25 years, baptized me, which made it extra awesome. 
I hope y'all enjoy! 


Lots of love,
-Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for showing an interest in what I am thinking and writing. I welcome further conversation and comments.

Charles